Hiya!

*In Fela's voice* I want to tell you a story......seriously I do.

Thursday 8 March 2012

DANCE OF UNITY






Hark!
Is that the gangan I hear?
Or an another worldly sound in my ear?
Indeed it is the gangan I hear.
Oh! Joy, joy, joy to my ear.
I want to break into dance,
Kneel and sieve sand through my fingers.
Feel the pulse of the land,
Swell and thump
In time with minstrelsy fresh yet so old.
Oh! It is, the gangan I hear.
A bit of leather here,
A bit of leather there,
And a bit of shaped wood to prompt
As I answer the ancient call,
Ijo ijo ijo.
My heart pleads
Lulu lulu lulu
Gangan!
Thou hypnotist of old
Do you still do this?
Blending heart beats
And pulse rates
And feet stomps
Into one heady gig that echo’s
In the soul?

Kakaki, Kakaki,
Honoured to have you here.
Thou majestic of instruments.
Emir after emir,
Is turbaned to the sound of your voice.
Queen Amina must have heard you
As she rode away to war.
Your melody must have
Echoed in her head,
Quickening her pulse.
Kakaki
A royal voice,
Powerful, rich, proud of you ancestry
Dignity is the dance, at the sound of your voice.

Ewo!
Oja is that you?
Welcome.
Accompaniment of songs long forgotten.
Still strong, your voice rings out.
Follower of our fathers.
A dirge in time of death.
A sweet intro at naming,
And in war, in war
A piece of bamboo with holes,
Sends off our dikes.
With resolve permeates the soul with
The bravery of your spell.
The spell which won us the wars.
Oja, you still move legs and hands, hearts and souls.
You move us into frenetic oneness with our land.
Who can ignore the mesmerism of your call?

Well spoken child.
Eloquence is a gift,
And you have honoured us with it.
But listen with your heart.
Heed your elders,
And your voice will find audience
When the heat of too many suns
Bleach your hair.
Listen child,
Each alone stands in splendour,
But together in candor
We strip away the hitherto malignant disease
Of individualism.
Listen, to the science of harmonical
Sounds, rendered in ancient tongues.
Listen and you will understand.
Listen, as together we sing one song.
Listen and let the rhythm of the
Truth excite you, incite you and invite you.
As we sing our song of rhapsodic profundity
Over rivers, hills and valleys.
Listen.
Now your pulse races,
Your heart lurches,
Your feet are possessed with a mind of their own,
Every part of you pulsates
Listen, listen, and listen to the symphony of
Divided we sound
United we thunder!



                                              Rio


6 comments:

  1. tkfashionfreak9 March 2012 at 13:55

    That path of Oja, is so touching and brings me good memories of my grandpa. I love the whole piece and what, i got to pick out of this is that we are ONE! Different instrument but at the end we all got to dance at the sound of it.

    Well done Rio!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love, love, love this Rio. Beautiful piece. Is it published anywhere else?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Point I'm glad you like it. It is only published online for now. Don't be a stranger.

      Delete
  3. Wow! How do you come up with all these great content consistently? Great job!

    ReplyDelete

I don't expect all the stories to be to everyone's taste but please keep the criticisms constructive. Thanks