Hiya!

*In Fela's voice* I want to tell you a story......seriously I do.

Tuesday 24 April 2012

HATCHED 3




It’s been a week since Osas died......committed suicide.  I’ve been steadily having nightmares; the same one every night. In my dream, I am having sex with Chudi and Osas bleeding away, is staring at us but I can’t stop, I keep going.
I am stretched to the limit with apprehension. There is mention of a suicide note but the family are keeping the contents to themselves. I never got close to his brother/manager Henry. I have called him twice this week but he has neither taken my calls nor acknowledged them. I can’t bear it anymore I need to see Chudi. I need to let off some of this tension.  
Chudi is at the perfect age of pleasing a woman. His skills must have now been fine tuned as against the sheer force and frenzy of Osa’s twenty two adrenalin pumping years. I miss Osas and I am worried that my name is going to pop up somewhere soon.  I had been supremely cautious with cleaning up my tracks, I just didn’t figure in emotional tracks or psychological tracks and cracks. 

I quickly find the flower pot with Chudi’s spare keys. He didn’t hesitate a bit when I suggested we meet. Instead he took over the reins of the planning.  I like men eager. When Julius and I first met, I thought he was a gentleman. I realised later that shifting the responsibility of any joint endeavours between he and I to me was just Julius being Julius, noncommittal.  Yup, an individual could be married and non committal. When you live with someone like that, over time, he rewires your emotions. You become a complete mess with suspicions and negative self image as constant companions. He is with me but apart from word of mouth, he doesn’t try very much to validate me or my existence in his life. Sometimes I wish he is deliberately cruel, but he isn’t. Julius just doesn’t care beyond what he desires out of life per time. See my predicament?



Chudi’s studio apartment is very contemporary and clean. I am admiring the paintings when I hear the key turn in the lock. I don’t turn.  The painting I’m looking up at is conveniently facing the entrance. I am wearing a black lacy merry widow and six inch red glitter court shoes and nothing else.  My butt gets more compliments than any other part of me so I am most eager to stick it out and await his entry.  I spread my legs and sip my wine as I wait. The door opens. I hear his breath catch. He clears his throat.
 “For real?”
Osas would have known just what to do right away.

Oh boy.
I turn around to encounter two pairs of eyes.  If it wasn’t so awkward it would be funny; the look on their faces. The colleague’s eyes are ripping my flesh off my skin.  Are you kidding? He is dreamier than Chudi could ever hope to be and the way he is looking at me....
“Pick your jaw up from the ground guys”, said I delightedly.

 Chudi is suddenly he-man proprietary with me. Right, whatever starts his engine as long as he starts mine, we’re cool.  Colleague who lives two floors up leaves and Chudi and I are all alone. I will not think about that perfect specimen that just walked out...or why not? It works for me with Julius.
Chudi is a waste of manhood. All he wants to do is talk about Osas.  As he goes to get another bottle of wine, I feign a call. I have to go; I have no time for the evening that Chudi proposes.  I thought we would just get down to it and I could be home before my children’s 8pm weekend bedtime. Kiss, kiss at the elevator. I get down and take the next elevator to the fifth floor where "steaming hot colleague" lives.  I try a random door and get pointed out to his apartment. He opens the door and I just know I’m in for a treat.
Sadly my babies are fast asleep when I get home but my smile remains as I shower. I found out his name thirty minutes later. It is Rufus. Rufus, I just slept with a guy called Rufus. Ah well. I'm loving being liberated.

Unbelievable.
My sins sure catch up on me pretty quick.  At this rate by the time the world ends, I’d have paid penance for all my misdeeds. I have just swallowed scalding black coffee as I face a picture of Osas and I on the front page of a tabloid.  I remember that trip to the US. We were in Idaho to see a childhood friend of mine for Petes sake. Letting down my guard a little, we walked out of the hotel hand in hand, smiling at each other. Neither of us was aware.....well I wasn’t aware of a picture being taken. Apparently, the “mystery lady” has been fingered in Osas’ suicide note. Bullshit, whoever released this photo knows exactly who I am. I look up as Julius walks in with the same tabloid and a cold angry look on his face.
“You’ll regret this.”

It’s been six months, the divorce was messy. Julius performed like a wounded lion, and oh what a performance. People sympathized with him and pointed fingers at me and called me all kinds of unprintable names. Julius’s family fought me, Osa’s family fought me. The press and public fought me.  More pictures came out. Henry gave an exclusive interview about Osas and I. Julius won custody of my babies. After my shenanigans with Osa’s was made public, the judge declared me an unfit mother. The nightmares have stopped as suddenly as they started. I guess Osas achieved his aim.

People say I should have waited, he’d have changed. Some said I should have just divorced him rather than cheat. Stupid me, I thought that what is good for the goose is good for the gander. I thought I was making the best of a bad situation.

I have been judged and found guilty by you all, especially my fellow women. I have been slandered on blogs and used as an example of a bad woman. Nobody cares that I was just trying to get by with life. Feel free to judge me. Some of you will do what I have done or are doing so right now.
Do I regret it? Apart from loosing custody of my kids, not at all. By the way I didn’t just hatch to sex. We must all walk our individual paths of survival if we are to make it through life.  
Young guys like me.....a lot.
I look at myself and wonder how I ever thought I am unattractive?
Last year Forbes called him the richest under thirty in all of Africa. I call him baby.  He is the majority share holder at Hastag, Julius’ employer’s.  

THE END.

                                                                                                       Rio        


20 comments:

  1. Hahahahaaa nice read...x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said Rio! Funny enough her story seems so really and too bad we women will be the first to judge her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too many times we are usually very quick to cast the first stone forgetting that we might have done worse if situations were reversed.

    "We must alll work our individual paths of survival if we are to make it through in life"

    That was the punch line for me and one well delivered!

    Beautiful write up Rio. Love your style of writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Dammy. I'm glad you like. Don't be a stranger.

      Delete
  4. This was a nice read. She was one hell of a liberated woman, she just forgot that we are supposedly living in "A mans world". A cheating husband is regarded as acceptable but a cheating mother on the other hand is a whore. I am going back to read the prequels though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Haemlet, I consider her simply a victim of circumstance. Thanks for stopping by. Don't be a stranger. I await your thoughts on the prequels.

      Delete
  5. Aha!! I knew she would be judged by the court of popular opinion. Ah well.......
    A sad but somewhat inevitable end.
    Well done hon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diva. You know how judgemental we are. she will get her own back though. I'm sure of it. "She who laughs last".

      Delete
  6. When the chips are down its still a man's world. Whether she had walked out of the marriage or not she would have still been judged. It's just so easy to judge others when you don't walk in their shoes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true!! Thank you Anon. Don't be a stranger.

      Delete
  7. She lost out in more way than one. Devastating for her but by popular 'verdict' she deserved it. she didn't go searching for promiscuity... circumstances led her down that part. Sadly, she was 'sentenced' and 'jailed' by a prejudiced world. *sulks* I hate this!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol!! Ah well, life doesn't always have a happy ending.

      Delete
  8. Thank you CodeName Valerii

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice one!

    "Let he who has no sin cast the first stone" I say but still...we have to answer to God someday so its safer to practice 'choices' early...too cool Rembrandt!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Here for the first time.....love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. RIOOOOOOOOOOO! Iba!! I usually don't comment when I read, I thought 'yemoja' was great then I read 'Them' but I must say 'Hatched' is the greatest of them all!! You were born to do this! I'm in awe, keep at it! God bless you!

    ReplyDelete

I don't expect all the stories to be to everyone's taste but please keep the criticisms constructive. Thanks